List to the President’s weekly address on the White House website and download a transcript. The address lasts about 5 minutes and covers timely, political issues to discuss with students.
Use this procedure to turn the monologue into a full lesson:
- Summarize what the student is about to hear.
- Have the student listen to the piece without reading a transcript.
- Have the student listen again without the transcript and jot down notes and/or questions.
- Ask the student a set of comprehension questions and/or to summarize what she heard.
- Have the student listen a final time while reading the transcript.